Objective: Identify linking opportunities of Salvadoran Diaspora communities with their home country.
Objetivo: Identificar oportunidades de vinculación de la Diáspora Salvadoreña con su pais de orígen.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

English: Crazy weeks


The last three weeks have been very busy ones. First, let’s start with my office, some weeks ago the Es Artes House had a cleaning-moving day as they needed the main room to give the theatre classes. The room was the storage place for all the clothing, tools, and props that were used during the preparation of the performance of March 27th. All those materials had to be relocated in other rooms, and there was lack of space. I contributed with the process by helping moving some of the boxes and also by giving up the space I had as an office (in the picture) to be an additional storage room. I am back to the front office which has three desks that are shared with six people. People here are creative enough so that some additional desks are improvised according to the needs of the day.

Second, last week I have a three-day trip to San Salvador to visit some organizations and government offices that have valuable information for my project. I had seven interviews in three days and it was a very productive trip. It was also a challenge to get those appointments in consecutive days and organize a more or less logic agenda. It took me two weeks to organize all those meetings as some people did not respond on time, others changed dates, and others were not available. I feel happy with the results though, because I missed only one person to visit.

And third, Jacques, my contact in Costa Rica is moving back to Canada. That triggered a visit of Rolando, the manager of the Costa Rican Office to have a view of the Es Artes project and also to have a meeting with the people working in different projects, mine included. I knew about the visit one week before so I was prepared with some information about my progress, but the day before the visit I was told to have a list of ideas to work with the diaspora. Some information was there but I expected to present it at the very end of the project as that is the final step. In one night I had to organize all the information available in the best way possible. I arrived with a three-page document that fortunately was well received by Rolando and the people who read it.

This week I am in another rush, as mi contacts in Canada and Costa Rica want to see a draft of the final report this week before Jacques leaves so I can have his feedback. It is good though because writing the final report is something that takes time. Having something now and having feedback now gives me inputs to organize better the ideas and conclusions.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're making a lot of progress and new friends. I'm happy for you. I look forward to seeing you when you return and seeing how or if these experiences have changed the way you view things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to see you again too... I miss the club. With this experience I have plenty of material for speeches!

    ReplyDelete