Objective: Identify linking opportunities of Salvadoran Diaspora communities with their home country.
Objetivo: Identificar oportunidades de vinculación de la Diáspora Salvadoreña con su pais de orígen.

Thursday, May 27, 2010

English: Chemistry class

Tatiana, the Executive Director of Es Artes proposed me to give a chemistry class to the students of the School of Arts and Traditional Trades. I accepted to prepare a sort of hands-on workshop to give the students an overview of chemical products, their origin and their use, emphasizing on products that they will use in their day-to-day training.

I spent part of my evenings to refresh my memory and organize concepts. Also, they asked me to do a rather interactive session with experiments that support the theory, so I needed to search some easy-to-do chemical demonstrations using simple materials. The research got me to some on-line resources that were very helpful. I came up with a four-hour workshop proposal that was accepted, they found the materials I asked, and I delivered the workshop Thursday morning.

It was nice experience to have the opportunity to share with this group of forty-something young men and women. The workshop went well although I miscalculated the time of one of the dynamics and that messed up a little bit my time. But I feel happy with the end result. I learned a lot; and I think the students were interested, they participated, and they learned something too.

No comments:

Post a Comment