Objective: Identify linking opportunities of Salvadoran Diaspora communities with their home country.
Objetivo: Identificar oportunidades de vinculación de la Diáspora Salvadoreña con su pais de orígen.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

English: The storyteller

The Mayor of Suchitoto, Javier Martinez, is a true and natural storyteller. On Monday 29th Jacques Carrière, the Regional Director of CUSO-VSO for Latin America, and I visited him to discuss the work plan and the vision of the Salvadoran Diaspora.

The meeting was a storytelling session. Javier explained all the details of how different waves of Salvadoran have left the country, how some of them came back in different circumstances, and what are the problems associated with this phenomenon. Jacques and I were caught in the magic of Javier’s explanations, the true stories, and the examples of success in involving the Diaspora in community development. It was a rich learning experience and an excellent starting point for my project.

Now the ball is on my side. I need to initiate contacts, gather information from different actors and visit community initiatives. And as for the storytelling part, I wish someday I could have at least a little of the ability to tell stories in the way Javier does.

No comments:

Post a Comment