Objective: Identify linking opportunities of Salvadoran Diaspora communities with their home country.
Objetivo: Identificar oportunidades de vinculación de la Diáspora Salvadoreña con su pais de orígen.

Sunday, March 28, 2010

English: Out of the comfort zone?

I have been two full days in Suchitoto, a town of 23,000 smiling people. It is a city protected as cultural patrimony of El Salvador, with roads in cobblestone and houses that keep their traditional Spanish colonial style. The temperature is around 30 to 35 degrees Celsius which may appear to be very hot, however when I am walking through the roads it has not caused me any problem so far.

People are friendly, they say hello in the streets, and life at night is active. The last two nights I entered to the hotel late, after 11:30 pm, and there were still people in the streets just chatting or having a drink.

About the hotel, it is more like a house with some rooms to rent. There is not front desk for registering, I had to meet the lady in charge in a restaurant that is located one block away and is connected to the house. Then she went with me to the house to get my room which is in a second floor with and spectacular view of a lake. The bathroom is down the hall and I need to pass through a balcony to get there, so no way to walk naked from the room to the bathroom or I may get in trouble for exhibitionism in the neighborhood.

There is one telephone downstairs. If I want someone to call me we need to make an appointment first so I can be beside the telephone when the phone rings. So far I have been able to communicate using the wireless internet available in the hotel. Is a good quality connexion but for some reason went down as I write this note. I hope it comes back soon.

Overall, it is a different concept of life, a new comfort zone to which I expect to get used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment