Objective: Identify linking opportunities of Salvadoran Diaspora communities with their home country.
Objetivo: Identificar oportunidades de vinculación de la Diáspora Salvadoreña con su pais de orígen.

Sunday, June 6, 2010

English: Angels and demons


Tropical countries are rich in resources and natural species, and that include animals. Today I want to write about those who make this place special and unique. Let’s start with the “chuchos” which are no other than our beloved dogs. There are many in Suchitoto, and many of them have no owner, they look skinny and not very healthy because of malnutrition. Some people help them with food and shelter, and some other adopt them, however, there are some dogs that are so accustomed to the street life that prefer the freedom of belonging to no one rather than the comfort of a house. That is the case of one of the dogs that lives in the main plaza; he was adopted some days ago by someone but this chucho managed to escape and continues to live under the chairs of the restaurants surrounding the plaza.

Other inhabitants of this town are birds, there are plenty of them justifying Suchitoto’s name: the city of bird-flower. In the morning I heard many bird songs which make me connect with the ground. When I heard them I feel lucky to be here. And talking about birds, I cannot forget the parrots on Villa Balanza, the restaurant belonging to the owner of the house where I live. These two green creatures are just there “talking” to each other in a language that humans cannot understand, but certainly enjoy.

Villa Balanza has also three turtles the walk under the tables with slow and gracious steps. Two of them are always together and, for a reason I do not know, one seems to follow the other. I am not an expert in turtle behaviours but I suppose that one is a parent and the other a kid. Whatever the reason, I enjoy watching them walking and moving their heads from left to right and from right to left , as if they were the guardians of the place.

And I cannot write this note without talking about scorpions. These creepy beings that are quite popular in Suchitoto, maybe more that I want. Since the day a scorpion fell from the roof directly on my desk, I became a watch-scorpion, always inspecting my shoes before I wear them, double-checking my clothes, and shaking my sheets before going to bed, just in case.

The list continues from the beautiful Torogoz, the national bird of El Salvador, to giant frogs that are everywhere, to guecos… a lizard-like animals imported from Vietnam that laugh at night as if they were making fun of all other creatures in the house, humans included. I like life, and here life takes another dimension. We are part of this system composed by many creatures, we may say that some of them look like angels and some others look like demons, but for sure they are all necessary for our own existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment